Chicago Area Clean Cities
The Chicago Area Clean Cities works with vehicle fleets, fuel providers, community leaders, and other stakeholders to save energy and promote the use of domestic fuels and advanced vehicle technologies in transportation.
As the Clean Transportation Program Director for the City of Chicago’s Department of Transportation, Samantha Bingham is responsible for developing and implementing policies, programs and projects that reduce emissions from the transportation sector and assisting in achieving the City's sustainability goals. During her 12-year tenure at the City, she has leveraged over $70 million in local and federal grant funding for clean vehicle incentive programs in the Chicago region, including the deployment of electric vehicle charging stations and medium- and heavy-duty hybrid and electric trucks and buses. Bingham also serves as the U.S. Department of Energy Clean Cities coordinator for the local Chicago Area Clean Cities coalition whose goal is to reduce petroleum in the transportation sector primarily through education and technical assistance. She leads the coalition’s current effort to promote EV education to the public, local car dealerships and employers to provide EV charging for employees.
- Designated: May 13, 1994
- Population: 8,345,010 (based on 2018 Census estimate)
- Area: 3,761 sq. mi.
- Boundary: Counties: Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, Will
Alternative Fueling Stations
Including public and private stations
- Biodiesel (B20 and above): 13
- Electric (charging outlets): 1,563
- Ethanol (E85): 150
- Hydrogen: 0
- Natural Gas: 31
- Propane: 42
Energy Use Impact*Annual Energy Impact
Emissions Reduced*Annual Emissions Reduced
Learn about just some of the projects from Chicago Area Clean Cities. Visit the Chicago Area Clean Cities website for more projects and information.Projects and Case Studies
- Lake Michigan Corridor Alternative Fuel Implementation Initiative
- U.S. Fuels Across America’s Highways - Michigan to Montana (M2M)
- Home Improvement Retailer Offers Propane Fueling
- Deploying Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Infrastructure in Chicago, Illinois, Through the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program
- City of Chicago Program Encourages Petroleum Displacement and Collaboration Between Departments