The U.S. Department of Energy has awarded nearly $400 million through its funding opportunities for hundreds of projects across the country to implement alternative fuels and energy-efficient vehicle technologies. These project awards contribute to Clean Cities' mission of advancing affordable, domestic transportation fuels and technologies.
Funded projects have included:
- Introducing all-electric and hybrid electric vehicles into public and private fleet
- The conversion of conventional vehicles to run on natural gas and propane
- Installing refueling infrastructure
- The installation of idle-reduction equipment in school buses and tractor trailers
- Developing E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) fueling stations along busy transportation corridors.