Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition
The Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition works with vehicle fleets, fuel providers, community leaders, and other stakeholders to save energy and promote the use of domestic fuels and advanced vehicle technologies in transportation.
Lisa Thurstin, the Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition coordinator since 2007, is a senior manager and has been with the Clean Air team at the American Lung Association in Minnesota since 2000. Her duties include implementation of the Lung Association’s clean fuel activities through the Clean Air Choice® consumer education program. In addition to extensive biofuels work, she is the current primary investigator for two U.S. Department of Energy projects: Twin Cities Electric Vehicle Community Mobility Network and Cold-Weather Operation, Observation and Learning Electric Vehicles (COOL EVs). Both projects entail deploying electric vehicle (EV) charging and electric vehicles along with providing supporting outreach and education, creating a community-focused mobility network that reduces barriers to EV adoption. Midwest EVOLVE continues to be active as a partnership between the American Lung Association and Clean Cities coalitions in seven Midwestern states. The purpose of Midwest EVOLVE is to educate consumers and fleet managers about the performance and environmental advantages of electric vehicles. Her overall responsibilities include grant management, event coordination, producing educational and marketing materials, and partnership development. Thurstin was inducted into the U.S. Department of Energy's Clean Cities Hall of Fame in 2011.
- Designated: May 31, 2001
- Population: 5,639,632 (based on 2019 Census estimate)
- Area: 79,627 sq. mi.
- Local/Regional Service Area: Entire state of Minnesota
Alternative Fueling Stations
Including public and private stations
- Biodiesel (B20 and above): 157
- Electric (charging outlets): 1,338
- Ethanol (E85): 445
- Hydrogen: 0
- Natural Gas: 23
- Propane: 48
Energy Use Impact*Annual Energy Impact
Emissions Reduced*Annual Emissions Reduced
Learn about just some of the projects from Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition. Visit the Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition website for more projects and information.Projects and Case Studies
- Mississippi National River and Recreation Area
- U.S. Fuels Across America’s Highways - Michigan to Montana (M2M)
- Midwest EVOLVE (Midwest Electric Vehicle Opportunities: Learning, Events, Experience
- Twin Cities Electric Vehicle Community Mobility Network
- Cold-Weather Operation, Observation, and Learning Electric Vehicles (COOL EVs)
- Minneapolis Makes EV-Charging History Record